ZEISS 40mm f/2.0 overview
Offering a unique short-normal focal length with a close-focusing design, the Batis 40mm f/2 CF from ZEISS is a Sony E-mount prime further characterized by its advanced optical layout. The innovative design of Batis lenses feature an OLED display that highlights the focus distance and depth of field range for quickly recognizing your focusing parameters, and autofocus is handled by a linear motor that maintains quick, quiet, and smooth performance. In regard to optics, the lens employs a Distagon concept with a floating elements design, which maintains consistent sharpness and illumination throughout the focusing range, and a series of aspherical and low dispersion glass elements help to control both chromatic and spherical aberrations. A ZEISS T* anti-reflective coating has also been applied to individual elements in order to suppress flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity, and the lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed construction to permit its use in trying environments.
- A versatile short normal-length prime, this 40mm lens is designed specifically for full-frame E-mount mirrorless digital cameras, however can also be used on APS-C models where it provides a 60mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2 maximum aperture suits working in low-light conditions and also offers increased control over depth of field.
- Distagon optical concept incorporates nine elements within eight groups, and also employs a floating elements design to maintain consistent image quality throughout the focusing range.
- Suitable for close-up shooting, this CF (Close Focusing) lens has a minimum focusing distance of 9.4″, minimum working distance of 5.5″, and a maximum magnification of 1:3.3.
- Two aspherical elements, three elements made from anomalous partial dispersion glass, and one aspherical element also made from special glass are featured in the optical design, and all contribute to significantly reducing chromatic and spherical aberrations for improved clarity, sharpness, and resolution.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- Integrated OLED display on the top of the lens shows the distance of the focal plane from the camera as well as the depth of field range for quickly recognizing the parameters of focus in use, even when working in low-light conditions.
- Linear motor benefits the autofocus performance of the lens and provides smooth, fast, and quiet operation. For manual focusing, a rubberized ring offers greater tactile control for precise placement of focus.
- Dust and weather-sealed construction benefits using the lens in inclement shooting conditions.