Think Tank Photo Retrospective Leather 30 overview
The gray with brown leather Retrospective Leather 30 Shoulder Bag from Think Tank is a discreet and simple bag designed for the photographer who carries a system such as one pro DSLR with a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom attached to the camera. And, with its wider size, the camera and lens combo can be stored sideways within the bag. Or, it can hold two pro DSLRs in its two front expandable pockets and 2-4 lenses in the main compartment. The difference between the Retrospective 30 and the smaller 10 and 20 models of the same bag are the 30’s two front expandable pockets. The smaller versions only have one. However, the interior dividers are still customizable to accommodate the gear you carry on any given day.
The large front flap covers the entire bag and prevents anyone from seeing what’s inside. The hook & loop closure is unique with its Sound Silencer system that eliminate the tearing sound normally encountered when you open a camera bag. This is especially valuable when you are shooting in quiet venues like courts, wedding services or chess matches. There’s also a dual cross buckle on the front flap for added security. The inside of the bag contains an organizer pocket that is perfect for a note pad, mic, or small pack of tissues. Two collapsible nylon pockets are inside and are designed to hold a flash or other similar sized accessory.
As mentioned, outside, two expandable pockets are large enough for two pro sized DSLR bodies. The back of bag has a wide storage pocket that is made to hold collateral material like paperwork, maps or a note pad. Additional webbing loops are found outside to hold some small Modular, Skin or Multimedia pouches. Or, you can attach a carabiner to it for quick access items like keys. Two side pockets will hold small water bottles or even some small shoe-mount strobe lights. Under the main flap, you have a business card holder.
The carry handle is removable and the shoulder strap contains some non-slip material to keep the bag stable while moving. There’s also a breathable cushioned pad along the strap to aid in positioning. For complete protection, there’s a neat rain cover that can be rapidly deployed when the weather turns sour. The cover has been configured to allow the handle and strap to extend but not interfere with the security of your gear. The Retrospective is backed by Think Tank’s lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
- The exterior of each Retrospective shoulder bag is purposefully simple, allowing photographers to inconspicuously blend into their shooting environment
- The “Sound Silencers” underneath the main flap eliminate the loud tearing sound hook-and-loop makes while opening the bag. Simply release the Sound Silencer panels and cover the hook-and-loop strips to prevent the hook-and-loop from contacting
- A clear business card pocket, for identification and spare cards, is located under the main flap
- Hook-and-loop panels securely fastens the main flap down keeping valuable photo equipment hidden from view
- An organizer pocket is located inside the main compartment. It gives photographers enough space for small, but significant, accessories necessary for a successful shoot
- All the dividers inside the bag are removable so the interior can be customized to any photographer’s set of gear
- Inside the main compartment are two collapsible nylon pockets (one on each side). These pockets are tall enough to fit most flash units or other accessories. A hook-and-loop strap can be used to secure the contents or it can be tucked into the pocket for quicker access
- Two front expandable pockets can be used to carry two pro size DSLR bodies
- A wide storage pocket is located on the back of the Retrospective. This pocket can be used to carry small maps, booklets or other paperwork
- Removable carrying handle
- A fully adjustable, canvas strap is integrated into the bag. For extra comfort, a breathable cushioned pad slides along the strap for optimum positioning. Sections of non-slip material on the pad helps keep the entire strap on your shoulder
- Webbing loops on both sides of the Retrospective can be used to carry some small Modular, Skin or Multimedia pouches on the side of the bag. Alternatively, a carabiner (not included) can be used to quickly clip accessories to the the sides of the bag as well
- Side pockets on both sides can be used to carry smaller water bottles and will even fit some shoe-mounted strobe units
- The included seam-sealed rain cover was specially designed to keep the carrying handle and integrated shoulder strap outside the rain cover without compromising protection from the elements