Sony FE 12-24mm F2.8 GM
- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- Three XA Elements, Two Super ED Elements
- Nano AR II and Fluorine Coatings
Comprising a range of ultra-wide fields of view, the Sony FE 12-24mm f2.8 GM is a bright and versatile zoom characterized by its broad range and bright design. Featuring a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture, this lens is ideal for working in available lighting conditions and controlling depth of field to isolate subject matter. Its advanced optical design includes a series of XA, aspherical, Super ED, and ED elements, which combine to reduce a variety of aberrations and distortions for a high degree of sharpness, accurate rendering, and notable color accuracy. An updated Nano AR Coating II has also been applied, which suppresses flare and ghosting for greater contrast when working in bright and backlit conditions.
Find other Sony lenses here
Complementing the optics is an XD Linear Motor system that uses four separate focusing motors to deliver especially quiet, precise, and quick autofocus performance. A floating focus design is employed, too, that aids in maintaining consistent results throughout the focusing range, from 11″ to infinity. The lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design and fluorine-coated front lens element to support shooting in inclement conditions and there is a built-in petal-shaped lens hood to block stray light and physically protect the front element.
- As part of Sony’s esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- Versatile ultra-wide-angle zoom is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however can also be used on APS-C models where it provides an 18-36mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field.
- Three XA (extreme aspherical) elements, and one standard aspherical element, are incorporated into the optical design, which features superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Two Super ED elements and three extra-low dispersion elements are featured in the lens design and help to reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions. This updated coating is better suited for larger, curved elements and is especially adept at minimizing internal reflections.
- Floating focusing system divides the focus group into two separately controlled groups and helps to maintain consistently clear optical performance throughout the zoom and focus ranges.
- An XD Linear Motor system uses four separate motors—two per focusing group—along with an internal focusing design to provide quick, quiet, and precise autofocus and tracking performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- A focus hold button is present on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Minimum focusing distance of 11″ is available throughout the zoom range.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints and is easy to clean.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing shallow depth of field techniques.
- Integrated petal-shaped lens hood helps to block stray light from causing lens flare and also affords some physical protection to the front element.
- Filter holder is incorporated at the rear of the lens, within the lens mount, and accepts cut gel filters and a filter cutting template is included.