Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II Digital Camera
- 42MP Full-Frame Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ X Image Processor
- Variable Optical Low-Pass Filter
- Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2 Lens
On the cutting edge of imaging technology, the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R II Digital Camera from Sony packs in a full-frame 42.4-megapixel Exmor R back-illuminated CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processor behind a fixed Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2 lens that grants users the ability to capture finely detailed images in an extraordinarily compact body. In addition to this, the RX1R II has a world’s first variable optical low-pass filter system that can adjust voltage on a liquid crystal layer to adjust the light-splitting properties of the array. This feature allows users to prioritize detail, eliminate moire and aliasing, or strike a balance between the two.
Find other Sony cameras here
Located on the sensor are 399 phase-detect AF points in a Fast Hybrid AF system that can lock onto and track subjects quickly. This setting can also be used in the continuous shooting mode at up to the maximum of 5 fps for capturing fast moving action. In addition to this, the improved processing and speed from the RX1R II’s sensor and processor combo enables capturing images at expanded sensitivities ranging from ISO 50-102400. And, Sony has added an uncompressed 14-bit RAW format for uncompromising images.
In addition to these major advancements in imaging, the body design has been refined and the RX1R II is now equipped with a pop-up 0.39″ 2.36M-dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF. This viewfinder has an impressive magnification of 0.74x for comfortable, clear eye-level viewing and has a 4-lens optical system with two glass molded aspherical elements to ensure crisp, vibrant imagery. Along with this, the 3.0″ 1,228.8k-dot LCD monitor can now tilt upwards 109° and down 41° for working in a variety of positions and angles.
On the front of the camera is the impressive Zeiss 35mm lens which provides shooters with a classic wide angle focal length well-suited to street photography and documentary work, an excellent pairing for a compact and unobtrusive camera. The lens also offers a fast f/2 maximum aperture for creating images with a shallow depth-of-field and for working more easily in low light. Along with this, the lens utilizes three aspherical elements, including one advanced aspherical that will minimize aberrations and distortion.
Video has also seen some notable improvement thanks to the implementation of the high bit rate XAVC S format. This format will record Full HD 1080p video at 50 Mbps at frame rates up to 60 fps. Also, the camera will be able to capture HD 720p video at up to 120 fps for slow motion and it has a 3.5mm jack for using external microphones and audio devices.
Numerous other features, such as Bright Monitoring, Eye AF, support for 4:3 and 1:1 aspect ratios, and ISO auto minimum shutter speed have made their way into this model. Also, the camera has built-in Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC (Near Field Communication) for pairing the device with a smartphone or tablet for remote control and transfer of images. In addition to this, the RX1R II supports Sony’s PlayMemories Camera apps for adding advanced functionality to the camera later on.
42.4MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
Variable Optical Low-Pass Filter
Zeiss Sonnar T* 35mm f/2 Lens
Fast Hybrid AF with 399 Phase-Detect Points
Lock onto your subjects quickly and without hesitation thanks to the revamped Fast Hybrid AF packed into the RX1R II. It uses 399 on-sensor phase-detect AF points with 45% coverage along with 25 contrast-detect AF points in order to improve the speed, accuracy and tracking performance of the system. Faster readout thanks to the back-illuminated sensor structure also allows for tracking while shooting at the top continuous shooting rate of 5 fps. This can be captured with a continuous AF Display that allows users to view the active AF points.
Another feature available with this AF system is a Lock-on AF tracking that will analyze more information from the scene to provide dramatically improved accuracy and stability. Eye AF is also available which will prioritize a subject’s pupil for excellent portraits even with a shallow depth of field.
Full HD 1080p Video Recording in XAVC S Format
3.0″ 1,228.8k-Dot Tilting LCD Monitor
Retractable 0.39″ 2.36M-Dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder Electronic Viewfinder
Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW Format
Physical Controls & Magnesium Alloy Construction
Built-In Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the RX1R II to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera’s shutter.
Additionally, PlayMemories Camera Apps are also supported via the built-in Wi-Fi connection, and allow you to personalize the camera’s features depending on specific shooting styles. Apps are available to suit creating portraits, detailed close-ups, sports, time lapse, motion shot, and other specific types of imagery.
Other Camera Features
- Multiple aspect ratio support enables the use of 4:3 and 1:1 in addition to the standard 3:2 and 16:9 options. Also, thanks to the high-resolution sensor, images in the 16:9, 4:3, and 1:1 ratio still manage to offer 36, 38, and 28 megapixels, respectively.
- A Multi-Interface Shoe located on the top of the camera enables support for a variety of accessories, including remotes, flashes, microphones, and more.
- Capture One Express (for Sony) is a free downloadable RAW conversion software that will help users get the utmost quality from their image files.
- Precise white balance adjustments for tuning the exact color using amber-blue and green-magenta axes.
- Bright Monitoring boosts image brightness by changing shutter speed for better preview of a night sky or dark scene.
- ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed allows users to prevent image blur by setting a minimum shutter speed that when reached will then start changing the ISO sensitivity.
- Thirteen Creative Styles, including Vivid and Portrait, are available for capturing images with pre-defined looks that can flatter specific subject matter.
- A 1200-zone evaluative metering system ensures balanced exposures and can be set between Multi Pattern, Center Weighted, and Spot metering.
- Face Detection is available to base exposure and focus on up to eight recognized faces. Furthermore, Eye AF can be used for even greater precision by maintaining critical focus on a subject’s eye.
- 2x Clear Image Zoom can be used to effectively double the magnification afforded by any lens in use with minimal image degradation. For even greater magnification, 1.4x and 2x Smart zoom is available, as well as 4x, 6.2 and 8x digital zoom.