Panasonic HC-X1 Overview
Bring your video productions into the world of 4K with the Panasonic HC-X1 4K Ultra HD Professional Camcorder. Featuring a large 1″-type 4K sensor, the HC-X1 is capable of recording video in DCI (4096×2160) as well as UHD (3840×2160) 4K resolutions. Whether producing event or ENG-style videos, or even a short film, the 20x optical zoom power of the lens starts from a wide 24mm equivalent FOV for shooting in tight spots or grabbing impressive establishing shots, and extends all the way out to 480mm equivalent FOV for getting in tight on far-away subjects. At longer focal lengths, the 1″-type sensor facilitates background blur reminiscent of larger professional cinema cameras, enabling dramatic compositions without sacrificing versatility found in a compact, handheld form-factor.
While 4K video formats may seem daunting, the HC-X1 manages to record them onto convenient SD cards (U3 rated or faster cards are required for video bit-rates above 100 Mbps) which are both small and robust. 2 card slots are provided for increased flexibility. You can record to both cards simultaneously, either for backing up or recording high and low bit-rate files, or enable relay recording to capture a single file that spans multiple cards for longer recording times.
Ergonomically, the HC-X1 features a familiar handheld camcorder body with plenty of customizable control buttons for quickly accessing essential functions. When handheld, the sharp OLED EVF is within easy reach. Alternatively, a 3.5 in touchscreen is offered for monitoring and menu control. Waveforms and scopes can be displayed to aid in exposure control. Atop the handgrip sits a large zoom rocker for precise zoom control. Lens functions can also be controlled manually using the three lens rings, one for focus, one for zoom, and one for iris. A battery for powering the HC-X1 is included, along with a charger, and a power supply for fixed-position operating.
- High-Resolution Video Recording
- The HC-X1 4K camcorder supports DCI 4K at 24p and UHD up to 60p. 1080p and 720p HD resolutions are also supported up to 60p in addition to super slow-motion.
- Advanced O.I.S.
- With an expanded correction area, Advanced O.I.S. effectively reduces vibrations from hand-shake jitters all the way up to unstable shooting situations.
- 5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S.
- In HD shooting modes, activate the 5-Axis Hybrid O.I.S. for further stabilization. Combining the optical stabilization with electronic stabilization, detection and correction of vibration along 5 axes (pan, tilt, roll, horizontal, and vertical) becomes possible.
- 4K 1″-Type MOS Sensor
- Balancing flexibility and creative depth-of-field control, the 4K 1″-Type MOS Sensor is ideal for run-and-gun filmmaking as well as ENG-style productions.
- 4-Drive Lens System
- The HC-X1 comes complete with a 4-Drive Lens System that simultaneously and independently drives 4 element groups inside the lens. Lens size and drive range for each of the 4 groups can be efficiently suppressed to optimize image quality and zoom power.
- Leica Dicomar 4K Lens
- Designed specifically for the HC-X1, this lens maintains sharp images throughout its 20x optical zoom range. The 24mm wide-angle setting on the lens (25.4mm equivalent in 16:9 aspect-ratio modes) offers a quick solution for shooting in tight spaces without requiring a bulky adapter that might affect image quality.
- 20x Optical Zoom
- The optical 20X zoom lens covers the range from 24mm wide-angle to 480mm telephoto (35mm film equivalent at 4K 24p). And the lens can quickly cover the entire zoom range, so you won’t miss your shots.
- Intelligent AF
- Precise autofocus performance is achieved by moving the Micro Drive Focus Unit minutely and quickly. AF can customize by adjusting AF Speed, AF Sensitivity and AF Area to best accommodate the subject type or application.
- VFR/HD Super-Slow Motion
- VFR (variable frame rate) recording can be set in up to 10 steps from 2 to 60 fps. Furthermore, a super slow-motion effect can be achieved through high-speed recording in HD resolutions at 120 fps.
- Choice of File Format and Bit-Rate
- Customize the recording to your specific workflow by choosing from the available file formats, MOV, MP4, or AVCHD (only available in HD and SD resolutions), and bit-rates ranging from 5 Mbps all the way to 200 Mbps.
- Multi-Format Recording
- Using the 2 SD card slots simultaneously, you can record in a different format to each card. For example, one card can hold the master 4K file while the second card holds a lower bit-rate HD proxy file for easy editing.
- Relay Recording
- With SD cards in both slots, relay recording enables you to achieve theoretically unlimited recording times, perfect for event videography or other unpredictable situations. When one card fills up, the recording will continue on the second card without interruption. After one card becomes full and the recording has switched to the second card, simply replace the full card with an empty one and the recording will continue further.
- 8 Gamma Curves
- HD: Gamma setting suitable for HD video
SD: Increased gain in darker areas more than HD
FILMLIKE 1: Reproduces more highlight areas compared to HD
FILMLIKE 2: Reproduces more highlight areas compared to FILMLIKE 1
FILMLIKE 3: Reproduces more highlight areas compared to FILMLIKE 2
CINE-LIKE D: Gamma setting designed to create cinema-like images
CINE-LIKE V: Gamma setting designed to create cinema-like images with enhanced contrast
STILL-LIKE: Gamma setting to simulate images captured with still cameras
- 16-Axis Independent Color Correction
- This function provides an independent effect to each of the 16 color phases of video images. It enables granular color matching of multiple cameras under the same lighting conditions as well as creative image rendering.
- Other Professional Features
- Lens Control Rings – Individual rings for focus, zoom, and iris are available for precise control of lens functions
XLR Audio Inputs – Plug in your professional microphones for high quality audio recording. Audio is recorded in either LPCM or Dolby Digital, depending on the video codec.
High-Resolution OLED EVF – With approximately 1,769,000 dots, the EVF provides a sharp image for focusing and judging exposure
Slide-Out Touch-Panel LCD Screen – At 3.5″ in size, the panel can be retracted into the body for stowage, rotated 270° for optimal viewing, and is touch-sensitive for quick menu navigation.
Other Features and Functions –
- ND Filters
- -3 to 24 dB gain range
- Auto, preset, and custom white-balance controls
- 4K-capable HDMI output
- Analog video output
- Wireless Remote Control
- Using a separately available Wi-Fi adapter, and the free AG ROP iOS app, you can use your iPad to change camera settings, adjust picture quality, start or stop recording, and control the lens. Proxy clips recorded at 8 Mbps can be previewed directly on the iPad as well.Note: App is compatible with iOS versions 7.1, 8.1, and 9