Nikon 18-300mm F/3.5-5.6 Overview
The lens utilizes a Silent Wave Motor for quick, quiet auto focusing for photo and video as well as internal focusing that keeps the lens design compact. Also, Vibration Reduction technology optically stabilizes the image to reduce the effects of camera shake and movement providing the equivalent of up to 4 additional shutter speed stops.
Helping with image quality are three aspherical and three extra-low dispersion glass elements that will minimize aberrations and Nikon’s Super Integrated Lens Coating which reduces ghosting and flare while maximizing contrast. The lens has 7 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas and a 67mm front filter thread.
- The Silent Wave Motor autofocus system uses ultrasonic vibrations-rather than a gear system-to focus the lens, providing incredibly smooth, silent and precise autofocus operation.
- The Vibration Reduction image stabilization improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake for up to 4.0 stops of blur-free handheld shooting.
- Maximum magnification of 0.32x and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6′.
- Lens construction consists of 16 elements in 12 groups.
- Works on FX-format cameras in DX crop mode.
- Utilizes 7 rounded diaphragm blades for smooth out-of-focus areas.
- The three extra-low dispersion (ED) glass elements help by minimizing the effects of chromatic aberrations and maintaining optimal sharpness and contrast of the lens.
- Three aspherical lens elements reduce coma and other aberrations as well as correct the distortion in addition to keeping lenses smaller and lighter.
- Super Integrated Coating nearly eliminates ghosting and reduces flaring, maintaining a crisp image throughout the frame.
- A-M switch locks the focus ring during autofocus while still allowing manual focusing when the ring is turned.