Canon 50mm F/1.8 Overview
The optical design of this lens incorporates optimized coatings that help to reduce flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color neutrality. The f/1.8 maximum aperture is effective for low-light shooting as well as for controlling your focus plane for selective focus shooting. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further enhance the look of out of focus regions in an image, making it well-suited to portraiture and creative environmental shooting.
- Standard prime 50mm lens is designed for use on full-frame EOS DSLR, however can also be used with APS-C-sized sensors where it will provide an 80mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also enables precise control over the focus plane when working with selective focus techniques. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further contribute to a pleasing out of focus quality with shallow depth of field imagery.
- A gear-type STM stepping motor is incorporated into the lens’ design to provide quick, smooth, and near silent autofocus performance. Additionally, this focusing mechanism also pairs well with EOS cameras featuring the Move Servo AF mode to enable continuous focusing performance when working in live view.
- Full-time manual focus override is available for fine-tuning your focus position for selective focus applications.
- Optimized lens coatings help to suppress lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and more color-neutral imagery.
- An enhanced exterior design features a metal lens mount for durability as well as a re-located focusing ring to maintain a compact 2.7 x 1.5″ form factor.