Blackmagic Design Extreme 3 Overview
A faster upgrade to its predecessor, the UltraStudio 4K Extreme, Blackmagic Design UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 is built with a Thunderbolt 3 interface, which features a 40 Gbps transfer rate that better supports 4K ingest when working in RGB or stereoscopic formats. The super high speed of Thunderbolt 3 is fast enough for the highest bit depth HDR uncompressed RGB 4K and stereoscopic formats, such as those used for high end feature films. Like the previous model, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 still offers PCIe, 12G-SDI, HDMI 2.0, and analog connections, 4:4:4 sampling, and real-time H.265 encoding. It supports 4K DCI and UHD footage in up to 60 fps.
UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 has a 2 RU rackmountable form factor with the primary connectivity on the back panel. For local monitoring, it offers an LCD preview screen and basic controls on the front panel.
UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 can be useful for non-linear editing applications, on-set acquisition, VFX, audio post-production, live-streaming, color-grading, live-production applications, and more.
Two SD cards are included with the device that feature the following Blackmagic applications: Media Express, Disk Speed Test, LiveKey, Blackmagic Desktop Video Utility and Blackmagic driver on Mac OS X/Windows 7, 8, and 10/Linux, and DaVinci Resolve (formerly known as DaVinci Resolve Lite).
- 40 Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Interface
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 has all the same powerful features of UltraStudio 4K Extreme, but in addition has a Thunderbolt 3 interface capable of up to 40 Gbps transfer speeds over a single cable.
- Advanced 4K 60p Capture & Playback
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 features 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 connections for working with large 60 fps, 12-bit, 4K files. A built-in hardware encoder can convert video in real-time to H.265, which is the distribution format for Ultra HD. Offering a very wide range of analog and digital connections, UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 can be used with virtually any camera, deck, router, or display.
- Analog and Digital Connections
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 features Thunderbolt 3, super-fast 12G-SDI with loop outputs, HDMI 2.0, analog component, 4-channel XLR audio, 2-channel AES/EBU audio, reference, timecode, and RS-422 serial deck control connections. It’s also designed with two optical fiber cages and a PCIe connection for expansion.
- The fast speed of 12G-SDI means UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 can support both capture and playback of Ultra HD and 4K 60p over a single BNC cable. Because the 12G-SDI connections are multi-rate, you can still connect to all your existing equipment. UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 even supports dual link 12G-SDI so you can do stereoscopic and simultaneous fill and key all in real time.
- Style and Durability
- The elegant front panel has an integrated color LCD and easy-access video and audio input buttons.
- Software Compatibility
- UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3 is supported by a huge range of software applications for Mac OS X. And for Windows you get access to a lot of software as well because UltraStudio supports WDM, DirectShow, and QuickTime. Supported applications include: DaVinci Resolve, Fusion Icon, Fusion 8, Final Cut Pro X, Premiere Pro CC, Avid Media Composer, After Effects CC, Avid Pro Tools, Steinberg Cubase, Steinberg Nuendo, Photoshop CC, Nuke, Avid Symphony, Avid News Cutter, Softron OnTheAir, MovieRecorder and OnTheAir CG, Flash Media Live Encoder, Flash Media Encoder, Wirecast, Livestream Procaster, Resolume Avenue 4, Sony Vegas Pro, Corel VideoStudio Pro X4, CyberLink Power Director, MAGIX Video Pro X4, Vidblaster Pro/Studio/Broadcast, Uniplay, Playbox AirBox, CasparCG, Magicsoft CG, Xsplit Broadcaster, Imagine Communications Velocity, and InfoCaster.