Blackmagic Design HDL-AUDMON1RU Overview
The Blackmagic Design Audio Monitor provides 2-channel audio monitoring of AES/EBU digital audio, audio embedded in SDI and analog audio. Designed to provide you with peace of mind, the unit provides high-quality audio monitoring of signals from decks, video servers, and live transmissions. You can use the unit to check audio levels as you work on your project. Up front and big on the unit’s front panel are two 27-segment LED VU meters that provide you with a bright, visual representation of the audio levels from -45 to +3 decibels, and two built-in, full-range stereo speakers provide clear audio. Control of the unit is by a front panel illuminated keypad that allows you to select input sources to monitor. A 2.1″ LCD screen for viewing input video (up to 4K), and a headphone jack and headphone volume control for when the listening environment is too intrusive
Supporting video resolutions up to Ultra HD, the audio monitor allows you to monitor the embedded audio as separate stereo pairs, before passing the signal out through either the SDI loop through port with 16-channel embedded audio or the HDMI 4K connector with embedded 2-channel audio. The rugged aluminum case features a card slot for an available Dolby Decoder card, allowing you an easy upgrade path. The 1RU-sized unit comes with a class A/B amplifier for a balance between high fidelity and power efficiency, dual subwoofer design with extra wide range speakers allow you to sit back and hear the audio. Rackmount ears are built-in for use in a post facility or mounting in a production case.
- The Blackmagic Design Audio Monitor supports audio from a variety of sources, AES/EBU digital audio, balanced and unbalanced analog audio, as well as audio embedded in the SDI stream. You can monitor 2 channels of audio at a time, and even select stereo pairs from the 16 channels in the SDI signal.
- SDI loop through supports 16-channel embedded audio, and the unit outputs 2 channels of embedded audio in the HDMI output stream.
Front Panel Control and Features
- The 2-channel audio meters are selectable between VU and PPM, and show a range of -45 to +3 dB in 27 steps. The audio level meter brightness is adjustable so the meters are easy to read in either bright or dark environments.
- An illuminated keypad on the front panel, allows you to select audio inputs, isolate left and right audio channels, mute, and select audio channels to monitor from within the SDI stream.
- The scroll wheel works as a volume control knob.
- Two full-range speakers and two subwoofers combine to provide audio that is rich in low frequency and provides sharpness in mid and high ranges.
- When you are working with SDI video input you can use the Blackmagic Audio Monitor to convert from SDI to HDMI for monitoring with big screen televisions or video projectors. The unit automatically switches between SD, HD, and even Ultra HD 4K. You can monitor in high resolution Ultra HD 4K using the HDMI 4K output with only a single HDMI cable or you can connect a regular HDTV and use the unit’s built-in Ultra HD 4K to HD down conversion.
- You can also monitor video on the built-in 2.1″ LCD panel, which displays video format, audio type, audio channels and volume level.
- The Audio Monitor features an internal dedicated Dolby slot so you can add an available Dolby decoder module. The Dolby decoder supports Dolby Digital and AC-3 decoding for 5.1 surround sound monitoring from either the 6G-SDI video input or the AES/EBU audio input
- The 1RU height of the Audio Monitor makes it ideal for use in either a post production rack system, location production case, or control or mixing room. The built-in rack mount ears make for hassle free mounting into available standard rack systems.
- The Audio Monitor features an internal power supply, and runs off of 110-240 V AC at 50/60 Hz.