Apple MacBook Pro Overview
The silver mid 2018 Apple 13.3″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar has been upgraded with an 8th Generation Intel Core processor, True Tone display technology that automatically adjusts white balance to match the color temperature of the surround light, Apple’s T2 coprocessor chip, and a quieter keyboard. All of this helps to create a more powerful and versatile system system for photographers, video editors, 3D graphic designers, gamers, and coders.
The Touch Bar places controls right at your fingertips and adapts to different apps to provide useful functions without having to navigate complex menus or memorize keyboard shortcuts. Replacing the function keys in the top row of the keyboard, the Touch Bar features a Retina-quality display and supports multi-touch input.
The power button contains the Touch ID sensor, so you can quickly log into your MacBook Pro using your fingerprint. You can also use Touch ID to make purchases over the web, thanks to Apple Pay. Touch ID enables a quick, accurate reading of your fingerprint and uses sophisticated algorithms to recognize and match it with the Secure Enclave in the Apple T2 chip with “Hey Siri” functionality.
This system is powered by an 8th Gen Coffee Lake 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core processor that features a burst speed of up to 3.8 GHz, while 8GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM helps to ensure smooth multitasking and also allows the computer to quickly access frequently-used files and programs. The system memory cannot be upgraded.
The 13.3″ IPS Retina display features a WQXGA 2560 x 1600 screen resolution with a 227 ppi pixel density. It has LED backlighting with a maximum brightness of 500 nits, and it includes support for the P3 wide color gamut. Integrated Intel Iris Graphics 655 delivers a sharp, clear picture, and you’ll also be able to output video to an external display using the system’s Thunderbolt 3 ports, which feature native DisplayPort output. One Thunderbolt 3 port can support one 5K display at resolutions up to 5120 x 2880 at 60 Hz, or dual UHD 4K displays at resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 at 60 Hz, each of which are able to support over a billion colors. Also supported are dual displays at resolutions up to 4096 x 2304 at 60 Hz with millions of colors.
For long-term storage of your files, this MacBook Pro is equipped with a 256GB PCIe SSD. If you want to add external peripherals, four Thunderbolt 3 ports support bi-directional transfer speeds of up to 40 Gb/s, while also supporting 10 Gb/s USB 3.1 and device charging. 802.11ac dual-band Wi-Fi is built-in for wireless networking, and Bluetooth 5.0 technology will allow you to connect additional compatible peripherals. Other integrated features include a 720p webcam, three microphones, stereo speakers, a 64-key backlit keyboard with four arrow keys, an ambient light sensor, and a large Force Touch trackpad.
The 13.3″ MacBook Pro includes a 61W USB Type-C power adapter that operates using 100-240 VAC at 50-60 Hz, a 6.6′ USB Type-C charging cable, and a built-in 58Wh lithium-ion polymer battery that lasts for up to 10 hours before recharging is required – or up to 30 days of standby time. macOS High Sierra is the installed operating system.
Please note that this Mac may come with an earlier version of macOS. You can upgrade to the latest version through the Mac App Store app.
- Processor – More Power At Its Cores
- With an 8th Intel Core processor, the MacBook Pro reaches higher heights in compute performance. The 13.3″ model now features a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core with up to 3.8 GHz Turbo Boost speeds that are up to twice as fast as the previous generation. So when you’re powering through pro-level processing jobs like compiling code, rendering 3D models, adding special effects, layering multiple tracks, or encoding video, you’ll get everything done. Faster.
- Memory – Run More, Wait Less
- For faster performance when working with large files, or running multiple pro apps or virtual machines, the 13.3″ MacBook Pro can now be configured with up to 16GB of 2133 MHz LPDDR3 memory.
- Graphics – Eye-Opening Performance
- The 13.3″ model with Touch Bar features powerful integrated graphics with 128MB of embedded DRAM – twice as much as the previous generation – which accelerates graphics tasks. That means more time for what matters most – creating your work.
- Blackmagic eGPU – Desktop-Class Graphics
- Blackmagic Design has created an external GPU (eGPU)for the MacBook Pro (sold separately). So you can have desktop-class graphics performance without giving up the portability of a notebook. Housed in an all‑in‑one aluminum enclosure, the Blackmagic eGPU is powerful yet quiet, charges your MacBook Pro using Thunderbolt 3, and has built-in I/O connections to drive both a Thunderbolt 3 display and VR accessories simultaneously. With the Blackmagic eGPU and MacBook Pro, you can accelerate pro apps, create VR content, and enjoy smooth gaming.
- Apple T2 Chip
- Introducing the Apple T2 chip, a second‑generation custom Mac silicon designed by Apple to make MacBook Pro even more secure. Featured on the 13.3″ model with Touch Bar, the Apple T2 chip includes a Secure Enclave coprocessor that provides the foundation for secure boot and encrypted storage capabilities. It also consolidates many discrete controllers, including the system management controller, audio controller, and SSD controller, into one. And the Apple T2 chip brings a familiar voice to MacBook Pro – Hey Siri is always ready to open apps, find documents, play music, or answer your questions.
- SSD Storage – Make Quicker Work of Everything
- The MacBook Pro includes a solid-state drive that is fast, with sequential read speeds up to 3.2 GB/s and sequential write speeds up to 2.2 GB/s. The 13.3″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar is available with up to a 2TB SSD – enough space to take even your biggest files with you, like large photo libraries or video projects. So you can boot up, launch multiple apps, or import huge files in a flash. And with the Apple T2 chip, everything is automatically encrypted on the fly.
- Thunderbolt 3 – A Powerful & Versatile Port
- Thunderbolt 3 combines high bandwidth with the versatility of the USB Type‑C industry standard to create one revved‑up universal port. It integrates data transfer, charging, and video output in a single connector, delivering up to 40 Gb/s of throughput for twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2. Both sizes of MacBook Pro are available with up to four ports, so you can do all of that from either side. Existing devices are easily connected with a cable or adapter. Since Thunderbolt 3 is reversible, no matter how you plug in, it’s always right side up.
- Touch Bar
- The Touch Bar replaces the function keys that have long occupied the top of your keyboard with something much more versatile and capable. It changes automatically based on what you’re doing to show you relevant tools that are intuitive to use – system controls like volume and brightness, interactive ways to adjust or browse through content, and intelligent typing features like emoji and predictive text, just to name a few.
- Tap It, Hold It, Flick It, Slide It
- Familiar gestures make it easy to use the Touch Bar. Tap to expand the Control Strip, flick to adjust volume and brightness, or slide to rewind while watching a movie.
- Just What You Need, Right Where You Need It
- Many of the built-in apps on your MacBook Pro, such as Final Cut Pro X, Photos, Logic Pro X, Mail, and more have Touch Bar controls that make common actions like sending an email or formatting a document even easier. The Touch Bar changes to match the app you’re using, bringing these shortcuts front and center. And third-party apps can take advantage of the Touch Bar as well.
- Customize What You Use Most
- You can create shortcuts right in your Control Strip and in apps like Mail, Pages, Safari, and Final Cut Pro X to help you work faster and be more productive.
- Touch ID – Advanced Security, Right At Your Fingertip
- Unlock your Mac in an instant. Use Apple Pay to make secure online purchases. Quickly access system settings and locked notes. And even switch between users – all with the touch of a finger.
- Display & Audio – Easy On the Eyes, Music To Your Ears
- The Retina display in MacBook Pro features bright LED backlighting and a high contrast ratio, delivering deep blacks and bright whites. It supports P3 wide color for even more vibrant greens and reds than with sRGB. And this 13.3″ model with the Touch Bar features True Tone technology. The white balance automatically adjusts to match the color temperature of the light around you for a more natural viewing experience. MacBook Pro also has beautifully balanced, high‑fidelity sound that takes listening to higher levels with wide dynamic range and more bass for increased boom. The speakers are connected directly to system power, enabling greater peak amplification, so you can mix a track on the fly, edit video on location, or enjoy a movie on the go.
- Keyboard and Trackpad – Your Workspace Just Got Quieter
- The MacBook Pro keyboard features a butterfly mechanism – providing more key stability than a traditional scissor mechanism, along with greater comfort. This 13.3″ MacBook Pro with Touch Bar now features a keyboard with a quieter typing experience, and the spacious Force Touch trackpad gives your fingers plenty of room to gesture and click.
- macOS Mojave
- Due out this fall, the next version of macOS, Mojave, features a Dark Mode to make your work stand out with features inspired by pros and designed for everyone, including four new apps and an updated Mac App Store.